By Geneviève Escure, Armin Schwegler
This quantity includes a choice of fifteen papers provided at 3 consecutive conferences of the Society for Pidgin and Creole Linguistics, held in Washington, D.C. (January 2001); Coimbra, Portugal (June 2001); and San Francisco (January 2002). The fifteen articles supply a balanced sampling of creolists’ present examine pursuits. all the contributions handle questions without delay proper to pidgin/creole experiences and different touch languages. the vast majority of papers deal with problems with morphology or syntax. many of the contributions utilize phonological research whereas others learn language improvement from the perspective of acquisition. a couple of papers research discourse options and elegance, or broader problems with social and ethnic id. whereas this array of issues and views is reflective of the range of the sector, there's additionally a lot universal flooring in that each one of the papers adduce good information corpora to aid their analyses. the diversity of languages analyzed spans the planet, as nearly twenty touch types are studied during this quantity.
Read or Download Creoles, Contact, and Language Change: Linguistics and Social Implications (Creole Language Library) PDF
Best linguistics books
This publication, derived from the acclaimed Cambridge Encyclopedia of the World's historical Languages, describes the traditional languages of Asia Minor, for the ease of scholars and experts operating in that sector. each one bankruptcy of the paintings makes a speciality of a person language or, in a few cases, a collection of heavily similar sorts of a language.
If you happen to have been a Londoner vacationing Cornwall may you know the way to know a grammersow? for those who have been from the West kingdom and took a visit as much as Scotland, might you be bewildered if a person defined you as crabbit? And what should you left your local Belfast for Liverpool, could you already know if a person referred to as you a woollyback?
- Interaction and Mobility: Language and the Body in Motion
- [INCOMPLETE] Phonologies of Asia & Africa: Including the Caucasus
- Formal Evidence in Grammaticalization Research
- Language Contact and Development around the North Sea
- Handbook of Visual Languages for Instructional Design: Theories and Practices (Premier Reference Source)
- The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language
Extra info for Creoles, Contact, and Language Change: Linguistics and Social Implications (Creole Language Library)
De Oliveira. 1976. History of Portugal. New York: Columbia University Press. Matthews, S. and V. Yip. 1994. Cantonese: A Comprehensive Grammar. London: Routledge. Pons, P. 1999. Macao, un Éclat d’Éternité. Paris: Editions Gallimard. Prentice, D. J. 1990. ” In The Major Languages of East and Southeast Asia, B. ), 185–207. London: Routledge. Santos Ferreira, J. dos. 1988. Macao: Jardim abençoado. Instituto Cultural de Macao. Santos Ferreira, J. dos. 1994. Poéma di Macao. Macao: Fundação Macao. Santos Ferreira, J.
4. It is interesting to note that Mingo and Waly may be represented on Dirk Valkenburg’s 1707 painting entitled Slavendans ‘Slave dance’, which was made the year the incident occurred. Dirk Valkenburg was employed as a bookkeeper and artist on Jonas Witsen’s plantation “Palmeneribo” — the place where the incident took place. For a reproduction of the painting, see Carlin and Arends (2002). References Arends, J. 1986. ” In Substrata versus Universals in Creole Genesis, P. Muysken and N. ), 103–27.
Winford, D. 2000. ” Journal of Pidgin and Creole Languages 15: 63–125. CHAPTER 3 Garifuna in Belize and Honduras * Geneviève Escure University of Minnesota Garifuna is a mixed language spoken in Central America, especially in Belize and Honduras. The present study oﬀers a sociolinguistic update on the current situation in both countries — an urgent task, considering the language is rapidly losing speakers to dominant languages (Creole English, and Spanish). The linguistic scene is ﬁrst examined in terms of the Garifuna group’s historical contacts and conﬂicts with other groups, and its ensuing diaspora from South America to Central America.