By Georges Roux
Newly revised and containing info from fresh excavations and found artifacts, Ancient Iraq covers the political, cultural, and socio-economic historical past from Mesopotamia days of prehistory to the Christian period.
Read or Download Ancient Iraq: Third Edition PDF
Similar archaeology books
Clearly laid out and completely illustrated, this can be the one entire booklet at the topic at an introductory level.
Perfect as a pragmatic reference e-book for pro and scholars who paintings with excavated fabrics, and as an creation for these education as archaeological conservators.
During this long-awaited compendium of recent and newly revised essays, Alison Wylie explores how archaeologists understand what they comprehend. studying the background and method of Anglo-American archaeology, Wylie places the tumultuous debates of the final thirty years in ancient and philosophical point of view.
The Neolithic interval is famous essentially for the swap from hunter-gatherer societies to agriculture, domestication and sedentism. this transformation has been studied some time past via archaeologists staring at the activities of crops, animals and folks. yet has now not been tested by way of taking a look at the family structure of the time.
Archaeology is a jargon-free and obtainable advent to the sphere which information how archaeologists examine the human previous in all its attention-grabbing variety. Now in its 12th variation, this vintage textbook has been up-to-date to mirror the most recent examine and new findings within the box. Reflecting the worldwide scope of the self-discipline, the booklet has a really overseas assurance of significant discoveries and websites from many corners of the globe.
- Rethinking Puerto Rican Precolonial History
- Death and the Emperor: Roman Imperial Funerary Monuments from Augustus to Marcus Aurelius
- Fundamentos para una Teoría Arqueológica
- Who Needs the Past?: Indigenous Values and Archaeology
- Bronze Age Connections: Cultural Contact in Prehistoric Europe
Extra info for Ancient Iraq: Third Edition
19. Citadel of Dûr-Sharrukin (Khorsabad). 20. C. 21. The central part of Babylon. CHRONOLOGICAL TABLES I. Prehistory II. Early Dynastic Period (c. ) III. Dynasties of Akkad, Gutium and Ur III (c. ) IV. Isin-Larsa, Old Babylonian and Old Assyrian Periods (c. ) V. Kassite Period (c. ) VI. Middle Babylonian and Middle Assyrian Periods (c. ) VII. ) VIII. ) IX. C. ) MAPS 1. Near and Middle East in Early Antiquity. 2. Southern Mesopotamia. 3. Northern Mesopotamia and Ancient Syria. 4. The Assyrian Empire.
Last but not least, I wish to thank my wife Christiane for the innumerable tasks she performed to assist me. Saint Julien du Sault, France, November 1991. INTRODUCTION TO THE FIRST EDITION This is a revised version, substantially enlarged and entirely rewritten, of the series of articles which appeared between September 1956 and January 1960 in Iraq Petroleum, the now defunct magazine of the Iraq Petroleum Company, under the title The Story of Ancient Iraq. Written in Basrah with no other source of documentation than my own personal library, these articles suffered from many serious defects and were far from even approaching the standards required from a work of this nature.
CHRONOLOGICAL TABLES I. Prehistory II. Early Dynastic Period (c. ) III. Dynasties of Akkad, Gutium and Ur III (c. ) IV. Isin-Larsa, Old Babylonian and Old Assyrian Periods (c. ) V. Kassite Period (c. ) VI. Middle Babylonian and Middle Assyrian Periods (c. ) VII. ) VIII. ) IX. C. ) MAPS 1. Near and Middle East in Early Antiquity. 2. Southern Mesopotamia. 3. Northern Mesopotamia and Ancient Syria. 4. The Assyrian Empire. FOREWORD TO THE THIRD EDITION By the time this third edition of Ancient Iraq is published twelve years will have elapsed since the second edition (1980).