By National Research Council, Division on Earth and Life Studies, Polar Research Board, Board on Environmental Studies and Toxicology, Committee to Review the Gulf of Alaska Ecosystem Monitoring Program
Record from the Committee to check the Gulf of Alaska surroundings tracking software and the nationwide examine Council. Softcover.
Read or Download A Century of Ecosystem Science PDF
Similar oceanography books
The writer has sought to include within the publication a few of the primary techniques and ideas of the physics and dynamics of the ambience, a data and realizing of which can help you a regular pupil of technological know-how to understand many of the nice complexities of the earth-atmosphere procedure, during which a thr- manner interplay among the ambience, the land and the sea has a tendency to keep up an total mass and effort stability within the process via actual and dynamical strategies.
This quantity collects a sequence of key-note lectures introduced on the fourth “Oceans from area” Symposium, held in Venice, Italy, in 2010. The revisited postscript within the name identifies it because the perfect follow-up of the mythical Oceanography from house, edited by way of J. F. R. Gower and released in 1980, following the first actual version of “Oceans from Space”.
In July 1995 the XXI basic meeting of the foreign Union of Geodesy and Geophysics was once held in Boulder, Colorado. At this assembly the foreign organization of Geodesy (lAG) prepared a few symposia to debate medical advancements and destiny instructions in a couple of components. this kind of symposia was once G3, international Gravity box and Its Temporal adaptations.
- Encyclopedia of Tidepools and Rocky Shores (Encyclopedias of the Natural World)
- Dynamic Planet - Monitoring and Understanding a Dynamic Planet with Geodetic and Oceanographic Tools (International Association of Geodesy Symposia)
- A Century of Ecosystem Science:: Planning Long-Term Research in the Gulf of Alaska
- Advances in Geophysics, Vol. 47
Extra resources for A Century of Ecosystem Science
To extract the full scientific value of any research program, data and information must be made available to the scientific community, resource managers, policy makers, and the public on a timely basis. Each of these audiences will require information in a different format. The committee commends the initial development of data management procedures; careful implementation of these procedures is key. Recommendation: GEM should create a comprehensive Data Management Office (not just an archive but a group of people who address these issues).
5. PSAMP (Puget Sound Ambient Monitoring Program) documents are not billed as a science plan, but they demonstrate how one group has justified the use of indicators in a marine system. “Monitoring and research are vital to understanding the status of Puget Sound’s health. The Puget Sound Ambient Monitoring Program (PSAMP) brings together local, state, and federal agencies—coordinated by the Action Team—to assess trends in environmental quality in the Sound. Information from the program is used to evaluate the effectiveness of the management plan and set priorities for the work plan.
One might expect that climate—through its influences on physical processes as well as through the rates of biological processes through the effects of temperature—will have its primary effects through bottom-up processes that determine the timing, amount, and fate of primary production, including its transfer from one habitat to another. These bottom-up processes are expected to dominate basin and shelf processes, including those in the Alaska Coastal Current. In contrast, one might expect that human activities, through harvest of marine resources including fish, shellfish, and marine mammals, and through the addition of hatchery-raised fishes, will have their primary effects through top-down processes.